Saturday, August 1, 2009

Assignment #1

Hi everyone, My name is Alexis Fagan. I was born & raised on Long Island, NY and have lived in Boston for the last 4 1/2 years. I currently work on BU's Medical Campus and this my last class (hopefully). I am taking this class for two reasons: 1. I need a natural science and 2. I have heard nothing but great things about this class and thought this one would be a good fit for me. I love the ocean, I grew up surrounded by water and really can't get enough of it.

As for the question regarding which direction toilets flush in Australia. I found that it really seems to be a myth and does not have anything to do with being in different hemispheres or the rotation of the Earth. Some sources that I found mentioned that it may have to do with the Coriolis effect, but the Coriolis effect is usually relevant to objects that take time to develop such as storms which take days to develop. A toilet, unlike a storm, flushes in seconds and is confined to small space which is too quick for the Coriolis effect to take place. The direction in which your toilet flushes is more than likely due to the drains location, bowls shape and other facts along tose lines.

http://sciencereview.berkeley.edu/articles.php?issue=9&article=who-knew

http://abyss.uoregon.edu/~js/glossary/coriolis_effect.html

No comments: