Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Spectacle Island was a nice treat since my group did not have a chance to go last year. Once a dump, Spectacle is now one of the leading sites to find shards of beach glass. One of my favorite studies is History...I love it almost as much as science. Almost. So it's exciting to me that Spectacle island is such a window into the past. The first object that caught my attention was a thick, clear glass ring. It stood out amongst the mostly flat square shapes along the beach. My theory for this object is that it was an old bottle top from a milk jug. With spectacle Island used as a dump since the early 1900's, this could be a real possibility. Glass jugs were the primary method of milk storage around those times.



I was also intrigued by a blue and white piece of pottery I found. We were told of a shipwreck that took place in the early 1900's which contained china. The shards were supposedly white with blue floral print. I found one such piece but I cannot prove it came from this wreck. I searched extensively for the name of the ship to no avail. Can anyone help?




Hope you all had a good time!
Jackie

No comments: