Friday, August 7, 2009

Bass

Today for me was the most interesting say of the entire class. First we reviewed what we had done throughout the class and talked about what we had learned and what we thought was the most interesting. I assumed that dissecting a striped bass would be my favorite part and I was right. We took a look at the Mackerel that was used to catch it. This fish was probably about 13 or 14 inches long and weighed no more than a pound. The striped bass was 18 pounds and roughly 39 inches. I liked this part of the class the most because I am a big fisherman and spend a lot of time on the St. Lawrence river at my camp and also the Grasse River that I live on, both rivers hold a great population of Musky.

We cut the bass open and got the fillets but also we looked closely at the scales which were surprisingly rough as opposed to Musky or Pike which are smooth, which was interesting to me, it made me wonder why these bass need the scales and fish in the northern part of New York and into Canada don’t. Although I had to give my fish away to somebody in the class because of my long car ride I will try to get some pictures of the next Walleye, Pike fish fry I go to. I thoroughly enjoyed this class and I’m glad I took it.

No comments: