Friday, August 7, 2009

Last Day-In the Kitchen with the Striped Bass


Hi Guys,

Today August 07 was our last day in class. We started the day with Bruce's lecture about whales and how things have changed in the past 300 years. From the killing of this beautiful animal for various economic purposes to the arduous fight to try to save them so that the our kids and grand kids can have the same privileges we have.
Everyone was asked to give their thoughts about their favorite subjects learned in this class. I enjoyed hearing what and why people liked different aspects of this class.

To the kitchen we had an appointment with the infamous Striped Bass! We learned a little bit about its life and some of its characteristics as well as how The state of Massachusetts' government decide and the techniques used for fisherman quotas.

The best part came when we started to slaughter it! Despite some disgusted looks I think most of the students enjoyed Bruce's perfect demonstration of how to extract the most out of the fish and what to be careful for, specially the fat which contains some of the the chemicals "collected" by larger fish over time. He told us about how pregnant women should avoid eating fish during pregnancy and why so.

After cleaning the fish, it was time to taste it and it surprised me to see so many eating it raw-just like that-pretty cool actually. I am not a fan of sea food but I have to admit I enjoyed a lot with wasabi, ginger and soy sauce.

I cooked my bass fillet on a classic lemon butter sauce and it took me 10 minutes.

Salt, butter, olive oil, 2 tbsp of lemon juice, a tiny bit of white white and some parsley and 1/2 lemon quartered.

Directions: Saute the fillet in butter. Remove it and place it on a dish to keep it warm in oven or microwave.
Deglaze the pan with white wine and lemon, pour the sauce over the fillet and top it with parsley, Serve it warm with lemon quarters. (Sorry I did'n have any lemons so I used a lime, lol)

Enjoy!





No comments: