Friday, August 7, 2009

So long...and thanks for all the fish...

Today was utterly wonderful! We rendezvoused at the classroom today at 10a, and after a brief lecture on fishing and sustainability, we moved into the kitchen to look at some fish up close! Bruce explained about the different parts of the fish and what they do. Namely I was surprised that the bass has a tongue...I cannot even begin to tell you how spun out I was by that...
This post isn't about the prepping of the fish...this is more about what we did with it when we got home! We were all given a portion of the fresh fish to take home and prepare in the manner of our choosing. I had a bit of a dilemma because I really wanted to make a meal for myself and my family...but I had not nearly enough fish for three people! What is a gal to do! I improvised is what I did! After the amazing ceviche we had this afternoon, I knew that was my solution to this ever so troubling problem! A trifecta of seafood! A crustacean, a mollusk, and fish!

S2W Ceviche
  • 6 oz peeled, deveined prawns (shrimp)
  • 6 oz sea scallops
  • 6 oz sea bass
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • Juice from 2 limes
  • Juice from 1 lemon
  • Juice from 1 red grapefruit
  • 1 clove garlic, super finely minced
  • 1/2 jalapeno, finely diced (more if you can stand the heat)
  • Salt and pepper to taste (about a dash or two of each)
  • 1 medium tomato, diced
  • 1/2 small red onion, diced
  • 1 avocado, diced
  • 1 medium mixing bowl
Start by making the marinade by mincing your garlic finely and add to bowl

Then mince half a jalapeno finely and add to bowl

Next...a couple of generous cranks of salt and pepper go into the bowl (or pinches...depending on your method of delivery) take note...be GENEROUS with the salt...but not crazy-go-nuts...
Give it a couple of glugs of olive oil (use the brand and rating of your choosing) I use Nudo olive oil...it tastes amazing, and it comes from the grove of olive trees where our adopted little guy lives! Their growing practices and commitment to sustainability are worth checking out.
Next cut and squeeze the juice of one grapefruit, 2 limes, and 1 lemon into the bowl


Wash and pat dry all of the seafood.
Chop all of the seafood to uniform chunks. The texture and size of ceviche is one of its finer points. Not only does it have a nice mouthfeel, it also aids in the 'cooking' of the seafood.

Toss the seafood in the bowl with the marinade.
After you put in all the seafood...give it a toss with your hand and make sure that it is completely covered by the marinade.


Cover it with saran wrap and place it in the fridge for a minimum of an hour.

I went for a bike ride and left it in there for about 2.5 hours. When I returned...the seafood looked completely cooked! The prawns were that beautiful pink colour, the scallops were opaque, and the sea bass took on a firmer texture.

Time to prepare the veggies! Make sure to keep them about the same size...uniform and bite size!




Throw them in the same bowl as the seafood and marinade, stir it around with your hand, cover, and put back in the refrigerator for another hour or so...


Take this time to go outside, mill about...I watered our plants, took the chickens outside, chatted with the neighbors...general time wasting activities. When I came back I prepared some plates...

I prepared some spirited libations
and served up some nosh!


It got rave reviews! My husband and father-in-law requested seconds! All in all...I would say this meal was a success :)

This dish is super easy to make, totally tasty and utterly fun to make ;)


However delicious seafood may be, we need to eat responsibly. Overfishing in the recent years has nearly wiped out many species. Steps are being taken to ensure that we can continue to enjoy the gifts the sea has to give us, but we need to be aware of the impact our actions have on this world. I make conscious decisions not to eat fish that is not on the 'safe' list...but the data is always changing. The only way to truly know how our seas are impacted, is to educate and inform yourself...I believe that there should be stricter regulations on the food we eat, not only to protect species, but also the environment. Losing one species can cause plankton to overrun the seas, or mosquitoes to run rampant, or herring to disappear, rain forests to be destroyed. If we are not aware of the journey our food takes to go from its time in the wild or on the farm to our plate..we will never fully appreciate the impact each meal we eat has...

No comments: