Sunday, August 9, 2009

Hey everyone. Since this is my last blog I like to start by saying that I really enjoyed this class and it was such a great way to end my time here at BU, I couldn't have had a better last class. I learned so much about the Boston harbor, I got to see places that I haven't had the chance or opportunity to explore yet, and I met so many great people. Friday's class was definitely a favorite for me, I like dissecting things and learning about them (I was one of the few who enjoyed that part of biology in high school). Some facts that I learned that day about the striped bass are that while our bass had 8 stripes different populations have a different number of stripes, their tails fan out, fish have nostrils, they have crushers not teeth, and you can tell if a fish is frsh because their gills are red. Bruce asked us to find out if the striped bass hehad caught was male or female, I did some googling and was not able to come up with a clear answer on how to determine the sex of the fish.

I was excited to go home and find a receipe for my piece of striped bass that we were lucky enough to take home. I finally decided on making a baked bass with romano cheese receipe with a side of cucumber and tomato salad, it was easy to make and delicious.

Ingredients: (I changed the quanties since I had one piece of fish)
1 cup bread crumbs
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 cup grated romano cheese
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
4 bass filets (8oz size)
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup olive
Preheat oven to 425

Start off by mixing the bread crumbs, grated romano cheese, parsley and garlic powder in a bowl. Next rub the filet with the lemon juice, then evenly coat it with the bread crumb mixture. Place the filet(s) on a baking pan lined with either wax paper or parchment paper and drizzle with olive oil. and bake for 10-15 minutes or until the fish is cooked through.

For the cucumber and tomato salad I simply cut up some cucumbers and tomatos and mixed them with some olive oil and balsamic. Everything was super easy to make.



I really should of had some white wine instead

Again, I really enjoyed this class and getting to meet all of you. It was truly a great expereince and I couldn't think of a better way to end my time here.

Good luck to everyone

Alexis Fagan

No comments: