Saturday, August 8, 2009

Last Day

Hey everyone. I really enjoyed the last day of class. I have never gotten a chance to be that close to a fish so soon after it was caught, much less touch its tongue, gills, and huge fish lips which were a bit slimy but a cool experience.
In class we first examined a smaller fish called a mackerel that had very small scales and dark vertical stripes and was relatively small, maybe less than a foot long. Then we went on to the striped bass which was much larger at over 3 feet long, had bigger scales that we sliced off, and horizontal stripes. Bruce said that you could tell that this fish was fresh because its gills were bright red, not black. It was interesting to see Bruce and various members of the class cut open the striped bass because we learned where the body parts are inside. This fish had more fins that I thought. For some reason I thought it was just have one on each side.
I also found it interesting when we talked about how people effect the environment, for example, as far as catching fish. I think this followed the talk about whether or not it is acceptable to eat whales. Bruce explained how different states have different methods and regulations for allocating what they capture. It can be determined by pounds of fish, the number of fish, or regulated like Massachusetts which has a short commercial fishing season. Bruce also told us that the value of fish caught recreationally is more those that caught by a commercial boat.
I am pretty sure that this class was the first time I really ate raw fish. It was pretty delicious and I will definitely be more open-minded to it in the future. I am not much of a cook so I kept things pretty simple when cooking my piece of the striped bass. I cooked in a pan with olive oil, and squeezed some lemons in while it was cooking. I also sautéed spinach in the same pan and added small bit of salt and that was pretty much it. I ate a few bites and my roommate had some and it tasted pretty decent. Surrounded by a culture of mass production in everything including food we are often so far removed from the beginning stages of where our food comes from. Getting to have this fish was a great feeling because the process from sea to mouth was so direct.
This class was a fun experience and I got to do some things that I would probably not have otherwise. I definitely learned a lot of things I did not know before. Thanks to everyone, including Bruce, who made it enjoyable. Hope everyone enjoys the rest of their summer.

Leana Ovadia

No comments: