Saturday, August 15, 2009

Last Friday

Last Friday, after class, I returned to my boat - The Verandah - to help my friend Dan finish up a few long planned projects, which had been postponed for way too long.

I was a little sad that class was over - and a little disappointed that the weather had kept us from catching a striped bass for our "anatomy" lesson (Thanks to Erald and John Nagle, we still had a great (and tasty) specimen to cut up in the Culinary Lab at BU!

When I got to the harbor I could see a school of thousands of menhaden (we call them bunker or pogies) about the size of my foot "flipping" as they filter fed on the plankton in the nutrient ricj water at the mouth of the Charles.

I could also see them flee in panic from time to time, as small schools of big bluefish and striped bass fed on the large school of bait fish just off my bow.

We quickly caught a couple of menhaden, and rigged them up about 20 feet below the surface of the boat. Within a few minutes, we had caught this 39 inch 25 lb striped bass, which is posed with a copy of last Friday's Boston Globe, to give you a sense of scale - and to lend credibility to my fish tale.

The school has been here for a week now, and I have caught a half a dozen bass over 36 inches, and a dozen bluefish to 10 lbs - without leaving the dock. How's that for fuel efficiency

Here's a picture of the striped bass.

Here's a picture of 1/2 a menhaden, after a big bluefish took a big bite out of him.


Here's what the whole thing looks like on my fishcam.



I am off to Provincetown this weekend: Here's the view from my slip at McMillan Wharf.



Enjoy the rest of the summer.
Good luck with your final papers and posters (which are due on Monday), and with your studies (or careers!) this fall.

I hope you enjoyed class as much as I did.

All the Best

Bruce Berman

No comments: