Saturday, August 1, 2009

Assignment #2 (The Barking Crab)

The first day of class was great. Everyone had a good time and we all learned a lot more about the Harbor than we had known before. The best part was the end when we got to go to the Barking Crab and observe some of the wild life in the water around the docks. I was lucky enough to be teamed up with Lizzy, Matt, and Mike who were great partners for exploring all that the docks had to offer. We first started in the shaded region of the docks and were able to find an organism under the dock that was very slimy and dark with many insects clinging to it. We were able to find out that this was a fouling organism. My group was more interested what was on the organism than the organism itself so we took it upon ourselves to try to find out what the little insects on it were called. We were unable to come up with a group conclusion other than they were some kind of tube worms that lived on the organism, but everything we picked up had them on it. We also studied the floating wall that was by the dock and had these orange Cheetos looking things growing off them. At first we believed it to be a sponge, But professor Berman swayed us into thinking it was a tunicate. So after reevaluating it I don't know what to think so I am going with my gut instink of thinking it is a sponge.

We then decided to get some sun and observe the organisms on he dock out there and for the most part I would have to say that they were pretty similar. I did see more sea lettuce in the sun however, and the other observation I made was that The organisms in the sun definitely had more color than the ones in the shade. In the sun there was more orange, red, yellow, and white to the orangisms unlike the dark colors from the ones in the shade.

One of the things that I have noticed between the difference in this years findings and lats years findings was simple the amount of stuff found. The amount from last years findings were much greater than this years findings which I believe definitely is affected by the weather. Another thing I believe that is effected by the weather is the color. As I had said before the color of the organisms in the sun was greater than in the shade. The picture from last year looks much brighter than anything we saw today which tells me the lack of sun from this summer has played a part in that. In all I had a great time today and can't wait to do it again tomorrow. See you all bright and early!


Brian Strait

No comments: