Friday, July 12, 2013

Patrick Palmer waterflow

My name is Patrick I grew up in Massachusetts and have always spent time at the beach.  I am in the class because when I had had my mid-life crisis I did not go and buy a corvette I decided to go back and finish my degree. Nearly complete. I have always enjoyed exploring the tidal pools for different kinds of life.  I am always amazed how different the ocean is every time I visit it.  I always make it a point to go on a whale watch every year.  My group found the water exited the sink in a counter clockwise motion.
As far as information on the flow of water in the northern and southern hemispheres, according to the website, www,loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/coriolis water rotation can be found in both directions in both hemispheres, that some people try to explain the effect on the direction is associated with the coriolis but other say this is not true, the Coriolis force is to weak to effect such small bodies of water in sinks, showers and toilets.
www.snopes.comHomeScience  Reports the direction of water going down the drain is influenced by the direction from which the water is introduced and or pulled away from the drain not the Coriolis effect.

 The drains in sinks and toilets are too small to be effected by the Coriolis according to the website www.ems.psu.edu/~fraser/Bad/BadCoriolis.html 

so based on what I find I think the direction is influence by the plumbing set up not the Coriolis  or the hemisphere they are in.
 

1 comment:

Bruce Berman said...

Very nice job, Patrick.
Thanks
Bruce