Friday, July 26, 2013

Goodbye ES 141

Pretty much, hands down the most interactive and exciting class I have had in my college experience. When I told my peers about the activities I was participating in during the period of this class, they were all in awe and filled with jealousy. It was great.

Although this class was great in "doing science" and getting me interested in science, I think one thing I took out of this class was to always question everything and to be intrigued enough to go searching for answers. There were multiple times when I had no idea what I was holding in my hands. Or when I had no clue where I was or what I was standing on. A lot of times through life I tend to just take things as they are without much questioning, but this class pushed me to be more curious. Once I was able to find a certain species, I wanted to find more and I wanted to learn exactly what it was and where it came from. I didn't just want to be told it was a sea worm, I wanted to know why they wiggled so much, and if they would bite or not. I wanted to know why I had never seen sea worms used in fishing before. All these questions would arise from nowhere.

I learned to take my observations and apply them to my life. Sometimes my observations are different than others' and I needed to learn to understand that. My opinions may not always be the same as others, and that's okay. As long as I'm learning in the process , I truly believe that listening to everyone's opinions matter when trying to figure out what you, individually, believe. I was able to experience many firsts during this course, and for that I am thankful.

Thank you Bruce for an exciting class that taught me to learn to love the harbor more and how to pay more attention to my surroundings. Hopefully one day I'll be able to go out fishing with your crew again! I'm always free to go fishing!



No comments: