Saturday, July 13, 2013

Day #1 Intro and Sink experiment

Hi class,
My name is Ezequiel Lopes I am from Cape Verde which is 10 islands off the west coast of Africa. I am taking this class as a science requirement but I am also fascinated by the mystery of the ocean. I am hoping to learn a lot about Boston Harbor history and get a better understanding of what can be done to make it cleaner and safer for our communities and our kids in the future.
Question 1: Which way does the water drain in the northern and southern hemisphere?
During our sink experiment in class it looked like the water did drain counter clockwise and all members of my group seemed to be in an agreement. However, when I went home I did a quick search, and several online articles seem to have different answer for this question and it was hard to identify the most reliable source. However, I was inclined to agree that it could drain randomly both directions depending on several variables like the shape of sink or how the plug is removed.  (www.scientificamerican.com)

No comments: