Sunday, July 15, 2012

Good Ol' Boston Harbor


Yesterday afternoon, our class embarked on a boat trip through Boston Harbor that was pleasantly relaxing with the mix of the shining sun and cool breezes we encountered while out in the bluish-green water; and at the same time, our excursion to say the least, was very informative - we learned the history of how the islands were formed, the steps in which the water released becomes clean, and overall, we were informed of the surrounding areas as we progressed through the Harbor. This was my first ever experience on a boat and I thoroughly enjoyed it and all the knowledge I gained from it. 

We departed Long Wharf at 1:31pm and I was immediately stricken by how beautiful the scenery was. Tall buildings in the distance were glimmering from the sun's rays and everything appeared so peaceful - sort of like how postcards appear. Suddenly, Professor Berman had begun to drop knowledge about the areas were passing by. Personally, I think it is a great fact to know that coastal Massachusetts had been carved the way it is now, by glaciers. In a since, I think it worked wonders because everything we experienced on the Harbor yesterday was amazing.

Another important and interesting fact was the purpose of the egg-shape tanks. I would have never in a million years guessed those tanks were filled with our human waste. Of course it sounds gross saying it and imagining it, but there is about a 10-12 step process in which our waste goes through to produce clean water. It still kind of boggles my mind that all of our "craps" can turn into clean water - sick fact. 

Everything about our boat trip was great to me. Learning that just 25 years ago, Boston Harbor now was a sewer. It amazes me how scenic it is now with: the Blue Hills in the distance, Castle Island right off the water; and in the water: Spectacle, Long, Snake, Thompson, and Deer Island. It's just a beautiful trip I think everyone in Boston should experience. There lies so much history it is kind of scary. Nonetheless, it makes you appreciate the Harbor for what it has gone through and what it is now.

No comments: