Saturday, July 14, 2012

Which way does water spin?


Good morning class,

My name is Michael Moran and I am an incoming freshman for the 2012-2013 school year here at Boston University. I am currently enrolled in CGS the General Studies program here at Boston University and would like to go into the SMG after my sophomore year. I am from Marshfield Massachusetts just a short drive south of Boston. Being from a beach town I have always been fascinated with the ocean. I am looking forward to the next few weeks.

1. What way does water spin in Boston?

                During our experiment to the women's room my group and I came to the conclusion that the water spins counter clockwise. Before doing any research I believed it was this way either because of some sort of gravitational pull by the moon, or just because that is how the designers design the sinks. However the real reason why the water in the northern hemisphere spins differently then the southern is because of the Coriolis effect.

2. Which way does water spin in Australia?
 
              Before we started the experiment like I said before in the last question I believed the water spinned clockwise in the southern hemisphere including Australia because of a gravitation pull or design. However the reason is called the Coriolis effect. On "Science made Simple" (http://www.sciencemadesimple.co.uk/page51g.html) they describe the Coriolis effect to have a major impact in not only the spinning of the water in sinks and toilets, but the weather, hurricanes, tornados and all other major storms. 

No comments: