Friday, July 13, 2012


My name is Ajay and I've been spending the last few years studying the flora in the city of Boston.  After seeing this class, I thought it'd be interesting to continue on to the shoreline and dip into the sea.  I have previously camped on Bumpkin Island, one of the many islands in the harbor, which was my first camping experience.  Sitting with friends by a campfire after dark, the lights of the city in the distance, and watching a pack of coyotes make their way along the beach made for a memorable experience.

My group observed the water in the sink drain counter-clockwise.  We attempted it a second time to make sure but the water simply swished back and forth as if the sink were using mouthwash.

I had guessed that the water would drain clockwise, not from any previous experience, but because it seemed appropriate, unlike lands down under, where it was understandable that things would move the wrong way.  I wasn't entirely surprised to observe the opposite.  I couldn't think of a mechanism whereby water would be forced to move in only one direction; a chaotic start could lead to many different outcomes.

I found such a mechanism exists! -- the Coriolis force -- but, according to the Library of Congress website, it is not strong enough to affect the water in a sink.  So, water in Australian sinks must go in every which direction.

No comments: