Tuesday, July 27, 2010

My Introduction...



My favorite local surfspot, Pikes Beach (Westhampton, NY)







Hi all,




My name is Matt Heim and I am currently an undergraduate student at BU in the Health Science program within Sargent College. At the conclusion of my junior year (this past spring) i decided to enroll in a summer class that, although i do love science, wouldn't involve Physics, Chemistry, Human Anatomy or Physiology; a refreshing break from my typical science regimen. During my search for an engaging summer course, a close friend recommended Snails to Whales as an interesting, field trip oriented, hands-on learning experience. How could i resist?

(Picture above and right is me pulling in a "victim" during the line-pull event at the Town of Southampton Interbeach Lifeguard Tournament)




I grew up in the town of Westhampton Beach on Long Island, New York. As an avid boater, surfer, ocean lifeguard and fisherman, I spend as much time as possible on the water; the ocean is like my second home. I own a 24' Regulator Center Console fishing boat that i use to fish for Tuna, Striped Bass, Bluefish, Fluke and other native species of fish. When the fish aren't biting, I take to the waves on my 7'1'' Robert August surfboard. Because the ocean is such an important aspect of my life, I felt that this class would be especially relevant.
Looking forward to the remaining 6 Snails to Whales adventures!




-Matt Heim






























No comments: