Friday, July 30, 2010

7/30/10 Post

On our boat ride around Boston Harbor today there were quite a few interesting things to see. While we were walking on the dock going to the boat, I noticed a few interesting things that were going on in the water right there. First, I assumed that the tide must have been lower when we got on the boat around 1:00 because the stone wall on the side of the harbor was covered with seaweed. I also noticed a large amount of seaweed in the water itself along the wall. When we were standing on the dock I also saw what looked to be a dead lobster floating in the water and a duck swimming around eating something that looked like some sort of paper. When we got onto the boat and started sailing away, the first thing that I realized was that there were no beaches or sand to be seen anywhere. All of the edges of the harbor in that particular area were man made. As we sailed out a little bit further I spotted Deer Island and the 12 enormous 170 foot tall (*http://www.nps.gov/boha/historyculture/structures.htm) egg shaped tanks that are on it. Another thing that I was very happy to see on Deer Island were two windmills. On the way to our first stop in Hull, I noticed that it was extremely windy on the top deck of the boat (granted we were moving relatively fast) and because of that (I assume), the harbor was filled with many sailboats. On our way to Hull I also noticed that in the greenish colored water there were a few very small islands with nothing but trees and rocky beaches with the occasional stone wall. When we finally arrived in Hull, the first thing that I spotted was the humongous windmill right there on the shore. After leaving our first stop, I noticed a few more of those tiny islands with really nothing on them, but this time I noticed that some of them had what looked like a dirt cliff on the side of them.
These island also had sandy beaches as opposed to the rockier ones I had seen earlier in the day. When we made it to our second stop in Quincy Bay, I noticed that we docked next to a sandy beach with quite a few people on it. Finally, on our way back to Boston from Quincy, I (as well as everybody else) saw the large flock of seagulls over the school of striped bass. A few of the things that I learned today that I found to be very interesting was that in the time of only twenty-five years, Boston Harbor went from being one of the filthiest harbors in the world to what will soon be the cleanest urban harbors in the world. I was amazed to find out that Boston Harbor is cleaner than most other Massachusetts beaches, cleaner than beaches in the urban parts of California and Miami, and even cleaner than the water in Honolulu, Hawaii! One final thing that I found interesting about today's class was learning about how Deer Island works. I never knew (nor did I ever want to know!) what "people pellets" were and that they are used to fertilize things like golf courses and to grow oranges in Florida.


-Luigi DiSisto

No comments: