Friday, July 30, 2010

Good Evening Everyone,
I had great fun touring the harbor with the wind in my hair and the sun on my face. What really struck me on the boat tour was just how compact the bay is. After drawing my map last night I had an image of the Harbor being quite large and spaced out. Only adding to this theory (or perhaps hypothesis considering I had not tested it) was my many long car rides to hull beach. In any case, I was astounded by the accessibility of all the islands. There were land masses around us all though out our tour. Turns out mind's scale image was a bit off.
I had known that there were sewage plants on deer island, but I have to say I was quite impressed with the utter high-techness of it! Quite opposite of grossed out, I am now fascinated by the idea of "people pellets" and have been wikipediaing it all evening! check out this study in 2007 (http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf0717891) that showed that using human urine for irrigation on cabbage plants can slightly increase plant growth and does not affect the nutritional value of the crop. How cool is that?!
Can't wait to get down and dirty tomorrow,
Emily Palena

No comments: