Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Harbor Class Ted Williamson bathroon experiment observation

Here is my observation of the infamous "bathroon experiment"



"The Sink"

Observation:

-The lighting was good

-Standing in the back to allow shorter people in front

-About 1 gallon of water filled in sink then drained

-Water flow drained slowly and appeared to drain clockwise



"The Toilet"

Observation:

- Lighting was not as good

- I was up front as I was chosen as the person to flush for my team (lucky me)

- Approx 5 gallons of water in toliet

- Water flow was fast and was confident the water went clockwise (unitl I did it again at home..) I could not help it, I had to test again. It went counter clockwise - Wierd!



Theory:

I like most people had the thought that water went in a different direction noth of the equator than south of the equator based on the gravitational pull of the earth. I looked up a few websites and confirmed that the "coriolis effect" did determine that a smaller conatiner of water, like a sink, would be influenced by the gravity pull of the earth. But the tolet was different.



This website explained it the best:

http://www.ems.psu.edu/~fraser/Bad/BadCoriolis.html



It explained that water from a toilet flowed differently because of the force from the water water flowing into the toilet under the rim was greater than the "coriolis effect". I assume this would be the case in Australia as well.



Thanks

Ted

No comments: