Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Hello everybody!

My name is Andrew Comenzo. I am a senior BU and I will be graduating (hopefully) in the winter with a BA in psychology. I grew up outside of boston in the suburbs but spent a lot of time in east boston/lynn/revere/winthrop/north shore area where the majority of my family resides. I know how do get around the city pretty well and if anyone needs a hand with directions or whatnot let me know.
I have to be honest that I have never been much of an ocean person. My brother and sister scared me when I was young about sharks and then I had a pretty traumatizing jelly fish experience so that sort of tainted my initial perception about the ocean. I've been working to move passed it most of my life. However, I am a water person. I have been a lifeguard/swim instructor for 7 years. My family has a house on lake winnipesaukee in NH and my siblings and I bought a boat a couple years back so I spend as much time as I can up there on the lake. where there are no sharks... or jellyfish... I also like river canoeing, flat water canoeing, kayaking (although I have only done it a handful of times), white water rafting, and "outdoorsy" stuff in general. I hike, rock climb, camp (not the type where you bring a standing grill and a cooler full of bud light, although, that is fun as well), etc. Because of my passion for the outdoors I do my best to limit my impact on the environment and I consider myself a very environmentally conscious person but I have never pushed far passed that. That being said, I am really excited to interact and be involved with people who activility working to protect and preserve the environment
I took this class for three reasons: 1) it sounded fascinating 2) it's outdoors 3) Getting 4 college credits in 12 days is awesome.

Sink experiment:
I know from general knowledge (as in I have no idea HOW I know it or why) that water in the northern hemisphere drains clockwise and in the southern hemisphere (e.g. in australia) it drains counterclockwise. When we observed the water draining into the sink everyone exclaimed it drained counterclockwise but I was not convinced. The toilet obviously drained clockwise but I think that the angle that the water sprays into the bowl has an influence on which way the water drains. I wonder if the water was angled in a counterclockwise orientation would it drain that way instead? To research this I called the person who I contact about most things scientific, my father. He explained to me that Coriolis effect is the physical phenomena that determines the direction that water drains. It has to do with the earths rotation and the power of gravitational pull (among other factors) when getting close or further from the earths south and north polls. However, the Coriolis effect only pertains to large pools of water. The way that small amounts of water (like the water in the sink or the toilet) drain can be influence by the shape of the sink or container, the oscillation in the water, temperature, etc. This would explain why the sink drained counterclockwise and the toilet drained clockwise. I wonder if angle of the water jets in toilets is different in australia... Thanks dad!

-Andrew R. Comenzo

No comments: