Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Draining

My last blog was a bit about me but I forgot to say why I am taking the class. My advisor thought, and convinced me, that this class would be a good way to get a core class done and actually enjoy it. Starting my "college career" off with a watery bang!
Now for the draining situation. It was hard to observe the sink draining and which way because the sink is so small I couldn't actually "see" the swirl until it was just about done draining. I'm thinking it went clockwise. As far as the toilet, the water seemed to rush in so quickly that is was hard to tell and I just assumed it also went clockwise. One thing I have discovered while researching the question about which way the water would drain in Australia is that you can pretty much find someone out there that has posted an answer that you may want to hear on the internet. It really doesn't matter if it's true or not. I did find a site that I thought seemed reasonable enough to believe. http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/coriolis.html
On this site it stated that the Coriolis is caused by the Earth's rotation and affects the flow of water down the drain. Some people do believe that it's affect is strong enough to change the directions of water draining simply due to which hemisphere it is draining in. The site continues to state that the force is simply to weak to affect such small amounts of water. The shape of the sink or how much water is draining, sink or toilet, determines the direction of the draining. The Coriolis is responsible for which way the air is being pulled, counterclockwise in the Northern Hemisphere and clockwise in the Southern Hemisphere. This is found during hurricanes.
Mary D

No comments: