Sunday, July 24, 2011

Regions Beyond

Our day started out with rain showers. I was hoping that this was not going to be a wash out, but to my surprise the grey clouds scattered and it turned into a beautiful somewhat cloudy cooler day. The tickets were gather and we were on our way to Georges Island before we headed to to Lovell's Island for the rest of the day. On George's Island were we sat and discussed the previous days progress. On George's Island we then took a walk through the park where I saw Canadian geese sitting on the grassy knolls of the land. One of the lovely rangers told us the story about the Lady in Black, Mrs. Andrew Lanier, who roams the grounds in black robes for killing her husband by accident and was buried in black robes. Her body lies in Fort Warren.

Entering the Fort was very scary. It was pitch black, and the walls were moist and cold which we had to hold on for support. I felt that I was dropping into a dark vortex and I kept falling to no end and couldn't find my way out. After the tunnel excursion we headed to Lovell's Island.


At Lovell's Island it was still a cloudy day but much cooler. the island is only about 1000 miles long. Walking alone the trail to reach the beach, I looked at all the different kinds of life growing on the side of the trail. Many of them plants had branches of blackberries attached to them. They were not dark and plump, probably because of the hot weather that we are having. There also was sumac (not poisonous) and thistle in full bloom. Beautiful colors of green and purple with very sharp pointed needles at the end of the leaf. Moving on down to the beach to the water, the there was a low tide around 11:49AM which gave the beach natural aboding of diversity of
habitants that makes this place a unite one. There was a salty freshness in the air and their was small dunes and salt-marshes with woodlands and fields. The beach was very rocky with sorted large stones in different colors that made the beach seem like a rainbow showing off there specular fashion of colors. Many of these rocks had several different kinds of seaweed attached to them. Far beyond you could see the starch white egg shaped domes across the bay of Deer Island which seemed overpowering in the middle of the bay.


I became fearless when I was holding a Asian shore crab and rough perwinkles in my hand. The experience transported me to a new level of excitement saying to myself that I can do this now. by singing to the rough periwinkles gave them a calmness for them to adventure out of their shell was an very interesting concept. Many of these periwinkles had a variation of different colored stripes on their shells. Also enjoyable was the common slipper snails lived on the land and on many branches of trees. These things were a wonder of delight for me. finding out about many of these species will give me a broader aspect of how these animals and plants survive. Maybe then (just maybe I will be able to cut the striped bass.)

No comments: