Thursday, July 21, 2011

Janelle Bean

My name is Janelle Bean and I am very excited to start this class! I am an incoming Junior at Boston University studying Mathematics Education at the School of Education. I am taking this class to fulfill my science requirement. I am really looking forward to this class, because so far at BU all of my electives have been my hardest courses--because they weren't interesting. The electives I have already taken made us memorize tedious information and then literally duplicate the answers from memory on a piece of paper and if you could remember a definition to the "T" then you were considered knowledgeable in that area....not so much. I didn't feel like I learned anything, we close to never worked hands-on and the testing criteria was ineffective. I am really excited to take this course where most of the work is hands-on, we will be exploring, observing, and researching new things and learning not only about the living organisms we share the harbor with but also the history of the harbor itself. I can't wait.
My love for the water comes from my father. My dad was always encouraging us to play in the water when we were little. We had a pool (that we JUST took down this summer--sad face!) at the house where my dad taught us how to swim, we always went on trips to a coastal location or lake house, and frequent trips to the beach of course. Two of my dad's favorite places are (1) Winnipesaukee Lake and (2) the beach. We have a boat and every summer we would rent a lake house from one of my father's pals from work. I quickly developed a passion for the water similar to that of my father. If I could spend all summer on the boat--I would.
I hope this introduction has helped everyone to get to know me a little bit. I can't wait to meet everyone and get started!

No comments: