Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Introductory Post

My name is Lauren and I am currently a Psychology major at the Met collage at BU. I spent most of my undergraduate career at Hobart and William Smith then I moved back to downtown Boston full time for the last six years.
Though this course will fulfill my science requirement I am also thrilled to be a part of it. I have a sincere interest in Biology and the greater sciences. My father was a doctor and was always teaching me about human physiology but had significantly less to say about any other species. His favorite thing to do was take the family to Nantucket every summer but getting to the beach was difficult for him due to a chronic rheumetological condition which curved his spine making it painful to walk long distances, especially on sand. All the places we went had to be a few steps from the car. Luckily, I had some nature-loving Uncles which took me out fishing in some amazing places like Alaska (where one of them lives full time) all the way down to Texas watering holes where I caught a whopping five tiny something-or-others.

My favorite experience with the ocean was when the father of a friend of mine had to take a Zodiac inflatable boat from Boston Harbor to Delaware along the coast and let us join him, it took us two days and in that time we saw whales and dolphins following alongside us an arms length away. While there we enjoyed some of the local food fare (crab legs) and went deep sea fishing, everything I pulled up got the benz and I was thoroughly grossed out.

I am right there alongside my peer who needs someone to bait the line for her.

In terms of my experience with the Harbor Islands, I have a vague childhood memory of going on a trip to Georges Island and running around the vacant barracks but more recently I took my family to Spectacle Island for the day to do little class reconnaissance (I also wanted to find a map first hand but in my haste picked up a bird watching pamphlet...it looked promising until I opened it up)

Needless to say I am very excited for what we will be getting into next (no more bathrooms please).

No comments: