Saturday, July 23, 2011

Boston Harbor Tour

Today's boat ride tour of the Boston Harbor Islands was a refreshing introduction to an area of Boston that I have recently learned that I know fairly nothing about. Despite living in the Boston area nearly my whole life, it seems that I have really only ventured into Boston harbor two or three times. Taking the tour provided me with an enlightening experience of the "new" Boston Harbor. I had no idea of the extensive clean up the city has done over the past 10-15 years. As we passed the various islands along the tour I quickly realized that air smelled fresh and salty, nothing like I would have expected earlier in my life. Many of the small pieces of land scattered throughout the harbor seemed to possess a lot of history behind them. I look forward to getting to know a beautiful area of Boston that I have recently learned I know nothing about.

Professor Berman seemed to have a vast knowledge of the bay which made the tour that much more informative. Learning about the structure of Boston's waste disposal and the cleanup efforts was extremely enriching. The extensive pipes and pumps and chemicals that help keep our Harbor clean is something that will never cease to amaze me. I am excited to see what other new adventures our class goes on next. See you all tomorrow.

No comments: