Friday, August 6, 2010

Conclusion

I am sad to report that today's whale watching trip concluded our Snails to Whales adventures. After seeing many species of whales during our trip, (which for me was a new experience!!) on our way back home, I began to reflect on the past two weeks of class...

Previously, my science exploration was limited to the confines of relatively small, indoor laboratories, where fabricated simulations and experiments served as our only tools for learning. A change of pace from the typical Physics, Chemistry and Biology labs that I have become accustomed to, Snails to Whales offered a new, refreshing perspective. Unlike the depressing labs within the Boston University Science building, our laboratory was the exciting and dynamic natural world around us. Our tools for learning were our hands, eyes and ears, not plastic apparatus and hot plates. Our methods for learning didn't include reading and highlighting textbooks or studying equations, they involved digging in tidepools, searching tree branches for snails, observing schools of baitfish and documenting different natural habitats and the creatures living within them. This unique approach is not only an effective way to learn, I feel, but it is also one of the most enjoyable. After having taken this class, I have a renewed appreciation for our environment and you can bet that I will have my guidebook with me the next time I go to the beach.


Thank you, Bruce, for sharing with all of us your passion for the ocean and all your hard work preserving Boston's harbor. I believe I speak for everyone in the class when I say that you will be dearly missed. Take care and enjoy your upcoming vacation in Provincetown.

Best,

-Matt Heim

No comments: