Thursday, July 31, 2014
Hi, Chris here.
Observe the direction the water drains in the Northern Hemisphere
Location of Observation: Bottom Floor, Ladies Room, BU MET Building 755 Commonwealth Ave, Boston, MA
Time/Date of Observation: 800 PM, 11 July 2014
Situation: 1. The drain was blocked with a Student’s hand.
2. The sink was filled with water to approximately 1/4 of it's capacity.
3. When Observers/Students were ready-The Student's hand was removed to let the water drain naturally down the drain.
Observations: To this Student, the water drained in a clockwise direction down the drain.
Question: Does water drain in the same direction in the Northern Hemisphere and Southern Hemisphere or dose it drain in different directions, i.e. clockwise-counterclockwise?
Answer: According to my research water can drain in both clockwise and counter clockwise directions in both Hemisphere.
1. The Library of Congress website:
2. Salzsieder, John C. Exposing the bathtub Coriolis myth. The Physics Teacher, V. 32, Feb. 1994, v32: p107.
3. The great plughole debate.
Does water really swirl in the opposite direction south of the equator? Well, yes and no, finds David Adam.