Thursday, August 7, 2008

Whale Watch - Thursday, August 7, 2008

Shashanna Anderson 

Today it was overcast and about 68 degrees outside. The boat departed at 9:30am EST and headed for Stellwagen, which is about an hour and thirty mins from (25 miles East of Boston) from Boston. I waited patiently and had a feeling of excitement since this was my first whale watch. I shared my excitement with other classmates who had also never been on a whale watch. I was curious to see which kind of mammals we would encounter : Humpback Whale, Fin Whales, Minke Whales, and Atlantic White-side Dolphins. Although I was hopeful, I really didn't think I would see a North Atlantic Right Whale since they are rarely seen.

As the boat reached its destination, I was looking out in the distance and I saw a black tail and a few seconds later, water shoot into the air about 5 feet. I thought I had seen my first whale. My excitement grew even more. Than a family of six Humpback Whales come to the surface about 100 ft from the boat. They were "rounding out" which made the formation of going in circles. I could see the whales shoot water, then it's back following by its tail. I didn't get to see the tail of all of the whales. I observed 2 Humpback whales sleeping and learned that they sleep 20 minutes a day, unlike humans who sleep 8 hours (I wish...).

I truly enjoyed the trip and had a great experience. I would recommend that everyone do at least one whale watch once in his/her lifetime. It makes you appreciate and respect the wonderful mammals that are part of our world. 

No comments: