Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Lovells Island

Location: Lovell’s Island in the Boston Harbor. The location we looked for periwinkles was a tide pool on the northeast part of the Island. We looked for land snails on the island itself.

Time and Weather: 9am to 3pm. Sunny temperature in the 70 and 80s. August 4th, 2008

Method: For the periwinkles we waded out into a tide pool abut up to ups knees. I bent down picked things out of the tide pool an examined what I found. I carefully took notes on what I saw. For land snails we walked around the looking in wet damp areas as well as on trees and leaves. Once again I recorded what I saw.

Tools: I had myself as a person obviously including all my senses. Also others had a magnifying glass, tape measure and some digital cameras, which I borrowed.

Observations: In the tidal pool is where I began. I started by turning over rocks and looking at rocks and other objects in the water. What I notice in the water was periwinkles, which I will explain later. Also some barnacles. The barnacles where white with a horizontal layering going up from the bottom to the top. The top of the barnacle was open. These were found mostly in-groups and were attached to rocks on the tide pools floor. I believe it to be a little striped barnacle. As I began my examination on periwinkles I started with a one that was 1.5cm high and 1.5cm tall. The periwinkle had a spiraling design on its shell. The shell was circular in form going up to a pointed tip. The color of this periwinkle was brown with tints of green, but what I noticed was the tip of the cone shape was little lighter than rest of the body. My original hypothesis to this was that it is lighter because it is closer to the sun in the water, but I could not prove my theory. Also what I noticed about the periwinkle was that its shell was very hard. The second periwinkle that I looked at was the same size as the first. The difference in this was that the color of this one was almost a marble color, maybe because it was in the sun drying a little more. The difference in color was not enough thought to make me think that it was a different periwinkle all together. In my opinion after looking in the filed guide both periwinkles I had were the common periwinkles.

Land Snails:
Where I looked for and caught the land snail was in the trees and leaves of the brush on the island. The land snails that I found were on the leaves of the sycamore trees. I examined a snail that was about 2cm in height and length. The snail had a yellow shell with brown stripes. As we looked at all the snail I noticed that there were many color morphs in each. Some had the same color combination, but different number of stripes. Others had different colors all together. Like brown, purple, or yellow. Another contrast that I discovered was that the head and foot of the snails differed into two colors. One snail had darker “body”, while the other was clear and almost transparent, I thought this would be an easy way to separate the species. As I looked again I noticed that some transparent snails bodies” had different colors from each other on their shells. Come to find out the way to separate snails are by their tips white or brown around their openings. Another observation was that the snail’s shells were much softer and not as thick as periwinkles. I believe this to be periwinkles are harder because they have to protect them selves from the ocean and its currents.
Overall: I thoroughly enjoyed are day on Island!

No comments: