Friday, August 8, 2008

Finding the black snails

As I mentioned in a previous post, Shashana and I decided to look in the concrete depressions that are the remnants of the old military installation. I believe they are approximately here (Lat/long: 42.329735,-70.929102). I looked carefully in the leaf litter of the far left (west) depression. The leaf litter was mostly black or dark dark brown in color. There were many slugs approximately 1cm in length and red ants on the leaf litter, but no obvious snails at first. I mistook a number of seed pods and other pieces of detritus for snails before I found the first tiny (1-2mm wide) black snail. After I knew what to look for, I was able to find more with careful looking. Though there weren’t a huge abundance of them, there were certainly more to be collected than the two that we brought back to the group. I did not look carefully in the other two depressions for these snails.

No comments: