Saturday, August 2, 2008




In today’s lecture we attempted to distinguish between the Inner Harbor biodiversity and the biodiversity of the Boston Harbor National Park. My observations began at around 9:30 A.M. at the main marina facing Christopher Columbus Park. I noticed the tide was midway through low tide and rising. High Tide was forecasted for 12:00, so the timing for observation was ideal for identifying the marine life beneath the harbor dock. I estimated that the weather conditions were at about 80 degrees Fahrenheit. My tools consisted of a naked eye observation from twenty feet, a pen, notebook, and my instinct. In and around the harbor I noticed there was a lot of cobbled rock. Flying around the dock were seagulls, pigeons, and ducks. Looking down into the water I could see tiny fishes which appeared to be feeding. I managed to also spot a small jelly fish. Their also appeared to be what looked like green algae and various forms of seaweed. Much of the seaweed varied in shape and sizes, more specifically I noticed red, brown, and dark green seaweed.
At a dock located behind the Barking Crab restaurant I observed the marina from a closer perspective. I lay down and looked underneath the floating dock. I must admit that my fear of the unknown restricted me from taking a more hands on approach to my field work. However I was able to notice baby mussels, more neon green algae, and various forms of seaweed. My classmates managed to find micro shrimp and an orange tubular creature (1.5 inches long) with large tentacles. The floating dock was surrounded with rock weed and brown sponges.
Based on my observations and limited knowledge of biodiversity I concluded that the inner Boston harbor is extremely bio-diverse. I believe that this is caused in largely by the presence of human life, pollution, and possibly the current of the ocean. The marine life around the docks seemed to be related in proportion to their positioning to the sun. Much of the algae, seaweed, and mussels were all located directly beneath the sunlight, which leaves me to conclude that they need sunlight to grow, live, reproduce, and ultimately survive. Most of the marine life seemed ‘attached’ to one another ; I believe that there must be many micro ecosystems amongst a much larger macro ecosystem of the Boston harbor, unfortunately due to lack of resources I was unable to positively identify them.

No comments: