Saturday, August 2, 2008

Chris's observations of the underside of the docks

My intial expectations was to find perhaps some barnicles, a few mussels, seaweed and algae. The actual result from the first sample my lab partner Kyla and I examined showed that to be quite an understatement. The sample was about the size of a plum, taken at approximately 11:30am. Some blue mussels, possbily orange sheath tunicate, multitudes of tiny insect-like creatures, along with a small crab that skittered away before being identified. Identification proved to be a challenge, even with the magnifying glass due to the small size of some of the organisms.

A second sample, appeared to be a linear skeleton shrimp latched on to some kind of sponge. The shrimp was active and appear to expire after several minutes having been left on the deck out of the water.

The third sample which was extracted for the class generally appeared to expose a twelve-scaled worm.

I must admit, after seeing the first sample, my appetite for seafood had left me somewhat temporarily. I may be able to eat fish again by the end of the week, but I will continue to dislike eating mussels.

No comments: