Saturday, August 2, 2008

2 for 1



I could not get to a computer last night, so lets take care of both posts:


My name is Carmen Rondash, I am from Rochester NY and I am going to be a Junior at BU in the School of Education. I want to be a science teacher (one that can get people to have a good science experience) I am also on the NCAA Wrestling team at BU

(sorry, the roster picture was the most readily available, my computer is in the shop)

As for Today: Saturday, August 2, 2008, (Before Noon)


Location/Environment: Under a bridge that has only partial sun exposure. The dock goes up and down with the tides so the underside is always submerged.

Method: First, lay down on the dock (face down) and take a first glance at the little environment there. Then remove samples, place them on the dock or in hands and analyze.

Tools Used: eyes, hands, magnifying glass, gloves, logic and a touch of intuition, paper, pen, Audubon Guide for N. America

Observations: I think the large worm I held was a 12 scaled worm. I think the angry, flailing stick was a Long-horn Skeleton shrimp, just maybe of a different color. I agree with some of the other posts about the Club Tunicate, Orange Sheath Tunicate, Blue mussels. I could not give them as much attention as the others. As for the little buggers, I think they may be Red-eyed Amphipods, Mottled Tube-Maker (im not as enthusiastic about that one, but maybe?) and for lack of a narrower definition - brine shrimp (AKA Sea-Monkey's for $14.99)

Sources: Audubon Guide and Hitchhiker guide.


Thoughts: It was amazing to have an out of lab, hands on, getting dirty experience. I wish every science course could expose students to this: real science, not just memorization of facts and data. As a society this lack of experiencing true science does not service us: the data changes and the facts may be limited to the knowledge of the time; true science and the scientific method, with a basis in inquiry and discovery have a timeless quality.

And in response to Chris: I had a lobster roll for lunch and appreciated it all the more

CR

No comments: