Thursday, July 30, 2009

Introduction & Assignment #1

Hello everyone, my name is Chris Connolly and I just finished my freshman year at Boston University. I am from Duluth, Minnesota where it is said to have about 4 months of winter and 8 months of cold weather, just kidding. Duluth is located on the biggest fresh water lake in the world, Lake Superior, and I have always had and interest in water and the beach. Although I have grown up near a lake for most of my life, I have never been exposed to ocean-life before and that's my interest in taking this course. Besides going to the beach, I think this class gives me the opportunity to experience the ocean to the fullest.

As for the big question on which way the water drains in a sink, it has nothing to do with which hemisphere you are in. Some people say that the "Coriolis Deflection" is the reason that sinks drain differently in the Northern and Southern Hemispheres. The truth is that the Coriolis Deflection only effects large bodies of water, therefore the way water drains in a sink has to do which the sink and drain construction.

My source for this answer: http://www.snopes.com/science/coriolis.asp

Chris Connolly.

No comments: