Wednesday, July 29, 2009

assignment 1

1. Hi my name is Ryan Santana. I must admit I did not personally pick this class out myself, but now having gotten an idea for what it is all about I am glad that I am in it. I am from Yorba Linda, CA. I've grown up in an area where I have been lucky enough to hang out at beaches like Huntington, Newport, and Laguna but, I have never seen the water on this side of the country. I love going to the beach and I have always liked the ocean; body surfing, boogie boarding, skim boarding, I love it all. Having said that, I am sure I will enoy everything we do in this class and am excited about it.
2. The water does NOT go in the other direction. That theory is based on the Coriolis Effect but, both a sink and a toilet are to small to be effected by it. This website, math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/general/bathtub.html , explains much better with more detail than I could ever hope. I found it by just "google"ing the question and saw a bunch of links that came up. I looked for one that, I guess, seemed like a "straight-shooter".

No comments: