Friday, July 31, 2009

Assignment 1

Hey my name is Joe Pereira,  I will be a junior next year in the Metropolitan College at Boston University.  I am taking this class not only to fulfill my science course for my degree but because I am genuinely interested in the ocean and its inhabitants.  I am from the shoreline of Connecticut, a mile away from the beach, so that is where I spend much of my free time.  By taking this class I hope to become more knowledgeable about the ocean because while my current knowledge is very limited, I am extremely intrigued by the ocean and all that it entails.

With regards to the question about the way the water drains in Australia, many sites that I have been looking at have conflicting views.  After thoroughly looking into both sides, however, it appears that while some believe the direction of water drain has to do with the Coriolis effect, others believe the mere construction of the sink or toilet is what dictates the direction of the water drain.  Though the Coriolis effect does in fact exist, and is "an apparent deflection of moving objects when they are viewed from a rotating reference frame," I do not believe it pertains to the direction in which water flushes.  While I'm not saying that water drains the same way worldwide, the way in which it drains- clockwise vs. counterclockwise- does not vary internationally due to any sort of physics related matter.

I got my information from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_effect & http://blogcritics.org/scitech/article/q-do-toilets-in-australia-flush/

Joe Pereira

No comments: