Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Kathy

Whale Watch

I had really been looking forward to the Whale Watch, but 1 hour into the journey I was sea sick . As a result I only got to see one whale and missed most of what was being said about them so I looked on the Internet to see what I had missed.

I learned that the World Wildlife Fund named Cape Cod one of the ten top whale watching sites in the world and that Stellwagen Bank, located at the mouth of Massachusetts Bay, is an underwater plateau. It was established as a National Marine Sanctuary in 1992. This area is an important feeding ground for marine mammals which is why the whales return to the bank every year. One food source of particular importance found here is call the sand lance, or sand eels. Schools of these fatty fish, which provide excellent nutrition for the whales, burrow into the coarse sands of the bank. Mammals that can be found in the bank include the Humpback Whale, Fin Whale, Minke Whale, Northern Right Whale, Atlantic White-Side dolphin, harbor porpoise, Pilot Whale, and harbor seal.

Despite the fact I missed most of the whales, the one I did see was an amazing sight. I’ve decided that I’ll repeat the trip but this time I’ll be taking Dramamine with me.

No comments: