Friday, June 18, 2010

Lion's Mane - Take 2

Yesterday my friend Dave came by to let me know that he had spotted another Lion's Mane jelly at Constitution Marina. Because the tide was slack, it was still there when I arrived.

These Lion's Manes were about twice the size as the ones we saw over Memorial Day weekend - probably because theey have been feasting on Moon Jelly's - which are always abundant in the Harbor at this time of the year.

In this picture you can see that the Lion's Mane has snared a Moon Jelly.

In this picture you can see several smaller Moon Jellys trapped in the "oral arms" of the Lion's Mane.

The specimens I have seen in the Harbor seem to be getting larger - it will be interesting to see just how big they get. The largest reported Lion's Mane jelly - from Mass Bay -
has a bell of over 7 feet in diameter!

The Lion's Mane's sting is pretty painful - If you are stung, seek medical advice at once.

Moon Jellyfish are relatively harmless to humans - though they
can cause a small rash or reaction in very sensitive people.

My advice is to never pick up anything you can't identify
That's why I carry a copy of Peterson's Field Guide to the Atlantic Seashore or
the Audubon Society's Field Guide to North American Seashore Creatures
whenever I explore the shore.

See you on the Harbor
Bruce Berman

No comments: