Sunday, August 1, 2010

Day 3

Plant One Observation: The first plant I observed is close to the color of emerald green, looks leafy, appears to be fragile but feels a little thick as if it could with stand some sort of pressure or force without easily breaking, and lastly, it resembles the lettuce found in the grocery store. I found information about this plant at, http://www.britannica.com/EBehecked/topic/530598/sea-lettuce which states, "a genus of green algae usually found growing on rocky shores of seas and oceans. The thallus, which somewhat resembles a lettuce leaf, is a sheet of cells up to 30cm (12 inches) long and two cells thick and is embedded in a tough gelatinous sheath." This website confirmed my thoughts about what type of plant I viewed to be correct.
Plant Two Observation: Secondly, our first stop, near the Aquarium, along the rock wall I noticed from a distance what appeared to be white shells covering the rocks. I later confirmed this to be called Northern Rock Barnacle. Confirmation confirming the name of this plant was found in the field guide to seashore creatures. Giving a description it states, "1"high, 1/2" wide at base. white. Seen at low tide, coating rocks." The habitat was described stating, "on hard objects; from between high and low-tide lines to below low-tide line in shallow water."
Plant Three Observation: Lastly, I found a reddish-brown plant which i believe to be called red algae. It was found near the Barking Crab, below the dock, and I have not been able to find evidence to confirm my claim.

Animal One Observation: Animal one was very interesting to me because it was the first of its kind that I actually was looking to observe, identify, and not eat. It was a baby crab who was alive, and against its will my group members took turns allowing it to frantically crawl in our hands. It was easily identifiable but the only trick was to figure out its gender. The professor offered us guidance and it was determined that the crab was a female. The dead give away was the triangle shape found clear as day on the belly area.
Animal Two Observation: Animal two was definitely a mystery to me because it was one i've never seen before. it is lip stick red, resembles a shrimp in a sense, has an antenna, and about seven legs. Without a doubt I found a picture of it by accident in my field guide to seashore creatures. This animal is called Scud and my book describes it stating, "olive green or reddish in color, pairs of equally long antennae, seven pairs of walking legs, eyes kidney shaped, and tailpiece longer than wide, with deep cleft in middle." it also notes the habitat which states, "among rocks and seaweeds on open shores and in estuaries; above low-tide line and blow t water 100'deep."
Animal Observation Three: near the barking crab, below the dock, is where a sea of mussels were found. They were easy to identify because a friend of mine loves them while i cringe at the thought of eating one. All that I had observed were cracked open with all types of living things crawling inside as well as outside of the shell. I was also able to find a proper name for this mussel using my field guide to seashore creatures book which showed a picture of a blue mussel and I find it to be a replica of what I saw. My book stated, "its 4"long, 2" high. Long, rounded triangle. Blue-black to black with shiny periostracum." The guide also states, " it can be found attached to rocks, pilings, and almost any solid object; between high-and low tide lines."
Animal Observation Four-Last but not least, the animal that had me puzzled, was long, slim, and looked almost colorless was later found to be a Long-Horn Skeleton Shrimp. A picture of this animal was found in my field guide to seashore creatures and was described as , "long, slender, arched, jointed, tannish, reddish, or without color." My book also states, "the Long-Horn Skeleton Shrimp can be found on places like seaweeds, hydroids, and sponges; from low-tide line to water 7450 deep.

-Kenya Scott

No comments: